Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Ahhh, the Olympics."

The words of Pheobe Buffay (after hearing the wedding march), "Ahh, the Olympics."

Just in case you missed it, the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver have overtaken the NBC airwaves. Am I complaining? By no means!

It seems that I never really look forward to the Olympics (probably more so in the Winter), but in the weeks leading up the Opening Ceremonies, I find myself more and more anxious for the games to begin. Perhaps it's something to fill the spot that football has left. Perhaps it's all of the sappy stories that bring tears to my eyes. (ie, the Dan Jensen Visa commercial- promises his dying sister that he'll win gold, he crashes; next Olympic games, he wins and takes the victory lap with his daughter who he named after his dead sister...I know.)

Who knows what, exactly, it is, but there is some amazing draw to any Olympic games.

I just finished watching Apolo Ohno take second place in the 1500 short track speed skating because two Korean racers tried to pass each other and wiped out. Koreans were going to sweep the race. Instead, one Korean gets 1st, USA cleans up with 2nd and 3rd.

Ando now, the women's moguls...in a blinding fog. Exciting stuff.

Things that I would NEVER watch outside of the Olympic moniker. The world's best athletes competing in one city during 14 days. Definitely worth checking out.

What draws you to the Olympics?

7 comments:

  1. I have to say, my husband and I aren't big fans of most of the Olympic sports because they are judged instead of a sure winner.
    (I'll just speak for myself and let Jeff leave his own comment if he so pleases!)

    Don't get me wrong, I can get wrapped up in the stories and the moments of competition, but I prefer sports where a "sure" winner is determined without the scoring of someone that claims to not be "partial."

    Also, in the speed skating, you only win by your time in the one race, possibly never going head to head with the person that will take the medal. We all know that when you go head to head with someone, you're more capable of rising to your competition.

    Not wanting to spoil all the fun for you with my foul opinion and please know that I am amazed by the talent of these figure skaters and ski jumpers (etc...). I just wish there was a way to know for sure who the winner is without human judgment being a factor. Ya know, like football! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Sarah Grace had a thing for the Russians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never taken much time to watch the olympics, but this year I have really been into it, and surprisingly I have become quite a good at distinguishing the good from the great in these competitions. It usually is all of the other countries are good and the Americans are great (unless they fall down) That is how I know things are bad.

    Jessica I must give my thoughts on your comment. All sports are decided by people that claim to not be partial. Refs and umps have to make calls all the time that decide games and sometimes they are wrong. Placement of ball is wrong, a missed foul that should have moved the ball to a first down, game winning run is called out at home even though the catcher didn't apply the tag. You can google search games that have been decided by bad calls and find lists upon lists. So what has to be put in place is a system that tries to eliminate as much human error as possible. I believe the Olympics does that.

    Oh... I like the sexy Russians also! Those men are HOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Jeff.

    The Olympics is chalk full of "competitions", and some sports. Let me explain...

    Figure skating is a competition. The scoring is COMPLETELY subjective based on the criteria set up by a judging panel.

    Bobsledding is a sport. The fastest person down the hill wins.

    Diving - competition
    Track & Field - sport
    Gymnastics - competition
    Down Hill Skiing - sport
    Ski Jumping - competition
    Soccer - communist

    I'm not sure your argument against sports with refs holds much water David. The Olympics has multiple sports where a judging panel decides the ENTIRE competition, score and all. Basketball, football, tennis etc. have referees in place to enforce the rules of the game to prevent one team from gaining an unnecessary advantage. Referees do not determine the outcome of games, the athletes do. What I think Jessica was trying to say is that she does not enjoy watching competitions as much as she enjoys watching sports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate my husband's explanation, but the comment on soccer being "communist" is going to get him in trouble! Pray for him please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many historians believe that soccer started in China. China is a communist country. So if Start of Soccer = China & China = Communism then, Soccer = Communism.

    Jeff: My argument holds water my friend. It holds water like a sieve. What my point was is that every athletic event(sports or competitions) have the ability to be impacted and have the final outcome decided by human error. Even in sporting events a decision can be made that could be wrong that could determine if someone wins who should lose and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete